About Compass Research:
Compass Research is the social and market research arm of Cairns based Cummings Economics
The firm has been providing professional market and social research services to clients ranging from Sydney to the Torres Strait and across to the Northern Territory, since the early 1980’s.
The firm has a highly experienced team that can carry out tasks promptly and efficiently. The firm is a long standing member of the Australian Market and Social Research Society
and adheres to the highest standards of professional conduct and confidentiality.
Apart from having carried out numerous quantitative household and business telephone, shopping centre and street surveys, the firm has carried out numerous qualitative research tasks involving focus groups and in-depth interviewing.
Because of its location, the firm has particularly strong experience in:
- Research in a regional community context.
- Organising and carrying out surveying away from its home base.
- Visitor interviewing and airport interviewing, including in non-English languages.
- Research in indigenous communities.
The firm’s clients over the years read like a 'Who’s Who' in business, organisations and governments in the north, including many leading firms, key regional organisations, government departments and agencies.
The firm’s quality research work stands behind many of the region’s successful projects, much of its marketing, and the successful functioning over the years of many businesses and agencies.
For further information, contact Research Co-ordinator, Andrew Cummings
. Further details are available on Cummings Economics website www.cummings.net.au
Recent work has included:
- Surveys for the Cairns Post in March 2013 that predicted the outcome of the de-amalgamation referendums in Mareeba and Douglas Shire areas and subsequent Council elections.
- Some 2000 interviews in Cairns and Townsville for Monash University led “Eliminate Dengue Program” into awareness of Dengue fever and awareness of and attitudes towards the Wolbachia research and the program.
- Program of passenger surveys domestic and international terminals, Cairns International Airport.
- Program of passenger surveys at Mackay Airport.
- Program of quality control surveys at Cairns Airport.
- Tourist Industry surveys for demand assessment of new eco/indigenous tour product.
- Awareness and image surveys Cairns house buildiong company.
- Half yearly survey of tourism businesses Cook Shire re tourism results, trends and issues.
Most surveys and reports proposed by Compass Researchare confidential to the client.
The following gives some that have gone into the public arena.
Attitudes to Upgrading Cairns Seaport
As part of other surveying in relation to local government elections in Cairns in March 2016, some 388 househodls were asked, "In relation to the proposal to deepen and widen Cairns Seaport to enable larger ships to use the port, are you for or against the project?"
Only 7% were undecided and of those with an opinion, 82% were 'For' and 18% 'Against'.
Daintree / Cape Tribulation Electricity Survey
This survey of households and businesses in the Cape Tribulation Daintree area excluded from the electricity grid provides a "reality check" on how households and businesses actually react in a situation of not having grid power available, the technology adopted, and resulting cost, reliability & safety issues.
2.1mb (pdf report) Ref:J2912
Mareeba and Douglas Shire Councils: De-amalgamation Survey
Compass Research carried out surveying for the Cairns Post in relation to the proposed De-amalgamation of Mareeba Shire from the Tablelands Regional Council and Douglas Shire form Cairns Regional Council that correctly predicted the outcome as a majority “yes” vote in both cases.
640kb (pdf report)
Compass Research carried out surveying for the Cairns Post in relation to the outcome of the de-amalgamated Mareeba Shire mayoral elections in November 2013 and predicted it would be a very close result as between Mick Borzi and Tom Gilmore. In the event, Tom Gilmore won by a margin of about 0.5%.
555kb (pdf report)
Compass Research carried out surveying for the Cairns Post in relation to the outcome of the de-amalgamated Douglas Shire mayoral elections in November 2013 and correctly predicted it would be a clear victory for Councillor Julia Leu.
551kb (pdf report)
Cairns Regional Council
Compass Research carried out surveys for the Cairns Post in relation to the Cairns Reginal Council elections for the Mayoralty in 2012 and correctly predicted that Bob Manning would win clearly and Val Schier and Margaret Cochrane would have much lower levels of votes.
895kb (pdf report)
Tourism Repositioning Study - Research Elements:
In December / January 2008/09, Compass Research carried out extensive market research as part of the TNQ Repositioning Study carried out by Bill Calderwood and Kleinhardt business consultants. The resulting reports are now publicly available and can be viewed on this website in the following parts (click on each to download).
Part A - Introduction & Overview of Results .pdf 242kb
Part B - Visitors Survey
- B1 Australian Visitors, Sample 306 .pdf 1,251kb
- B2 UK Visitors, Sample 300 .pdf 1,317kb
- B3 Visitors from Japan, Sample 282 .pdf 1,428kb
- B4 Visitors from China, Sample 101 .pdf 1,190kb
- B5 Visitors from Korea, Sample 60 .pdf 1,244kb
Part C - Telephone Survey - Australian Residents, Sample 600 households .pdf 1,295kb
Part D - Focus Groups - Cairns Tourism Operators - UK, Japan, China, Korea .pdf 187kb
Part E - On Line Survey - Overseas Agents, Sample 54 .pdf 2,162kb
All .pdf (Portable Document Format) documents will open up automatically in Google Docs, where you have the option to download or print. To download a light .pdf viewer try Foxit Reader 3
, or download Adobe Reader 9.